Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Hospital Days

After my c-section we had some time just me, Brandon and our newest little boy Wyatt. It was nice to be alone just the three of us for a little bit. After a little while they moved us into our recovery room and I had to be moved onto a different bed. That was a weird experience. The male nurse had me roll onto the other bed because I could not feel my legs and they really could not just life me up. I was so nervous about ripping my stitches or hurting my stomach by doing that but it worked and nothing bad happened. Then we just hung out and relaxed until my parents came to visit with Ethan. During that time I still felt unbelievably tired and could hardly keep my eyes open at times. However, it was so nice having our new little baby with us and I loved having skin on skin time with him. As we were waiting for my parents to visit I started to try and eat some ice chips. I thought maybe it would help with my dizziness. After having some ice chips I was holding Wyatt and all of a sudden I felt really sick and hot and I told Brandon I was going to throw up. He ran over and grabbed a gown off a table and put it on me and grabbed Wyatt and sure enough I threw up the ice chips I had just eaten. That was the last thing I wanted to do right after having a c-section. Thankfully the morphine had not worn off yet but it still did not feel the greatest. And luckily that was the only time that I threw up. Then my parents showed up with Ethan to come and meet little Wyatt. Ethan was excited to see us and did really well in the hospital  most of the time. He also understood really quickly that his little brother was no longer in my tummy and was pretty interested in him some of the times. Other times he just wanted to play or run around. One thing that was hard for Ethan was that we could not go home with him. He got really sad when they would be leaving to go back home without us. Especially Brandon. Ethan would get excited thinking that his daddy was going home with him but when he realized he wasn't he would get really sad and cry as they left. We were in the hospital from Wednesday until Friday afternoon. Wednesday night they started to have me try and get up out of bed. That was interesting!! But, I knew I had to do it and as soon as I could get up and down and walk a little bit they could take my catheter out so I really wanted to get up and be able to get that out! It was crazy how hard it was to get up and out of bed after having a c-section. The first time was the worst and after that it got a little easier. Getting back into bed was probably the easiest part and walking was easier then getting out of bed. I also learned my lesson quickly about not taking my pain medication on time. On Thursday when I was off of my I.V meds I started to take percoset and Ibuprofen but I only took 1 percacet the first time because I did not want to get dizzy and I got dizzy when I took percacet after getting my wisdom teeth pulled. So I tried just 1 the first time and I should have taken the next one 4 hours later but when I thought about it it had been about 6 hours and I was totally feeling it. So I told the nurse that I was really ready for my pain medicine and it took them like an hour to bring it to me. So i was hurting really bad! It killed me to get up and walk to the bathroom and back! Then of coarse I made Brandon laugh which made me laugh and that hurt really bad since I was already in pain. That was the one time that I cried! Then when I finally got my percocit I took 2 of them and within a half hour I felt SO much better! I could get up and walk around and do the things that I needed to! So from then on I was very good at taking my meds on time! I did not want to go through the pain again by waiting too long! So I was able to enjoy mine and Brandon's steak and shrimp dinner that they give to new parents! We ate it and watched Ever After. Then of coarse it was time to feed Wyatt! haha It was nice to be at the hospital but you forget how annoying it is that you have to get checked on so much while in the hosptial in the middle of the night. Although, we did have great nurses this time around which was nice. We liked all of the nurses that we had. The first nurse that we had the day of Wyatt's birth was great! She helped me with nursing SO much, and I was sad that she was not our nurse ever again since I still needed some help with geting Wyatt to Latch on and to eat. She also put a lot of emphasis on skin on skin time with Wyatt and I am so glad that she did. It helped me feel connected to him so much more and that feeling of disconnect that I had had when he was born was gone. I LOVED doing skin on skin time so much. It is such a bonding experience and just having his little body on mine and cuddling was so precious and I could not get enough. I loved just cuddling with Wyatt. I never did skin on skin time with Ethan and I wish I had done it and cuddled more. Oh well, now I know and I will be doing it with any other children we have for sure!!! The other nurses we had were very nice too and we liked them a lot. We also had a lactation consultant come by this time, but, she was worthless. All she did was tell me that I was doing fine and that he will do better when my milk came in. Then she gave me a nipple shield and told me about some support classes they put on at the hospital for nursing mothers. I was pretty dissapointed that she was not better. She was actually pretty annoying! I am just glad that we got things figured out without her help. Then I had one lady that checked my vitals that was really nice even though she did have to interupt me in the middle of the night she would ask me if I needed anything to eat or drink and she told me that since I was nursing that I needed to drink a lot of water so she got me a nice big cup so that I could drink enough water. One thing that was really annoying was getting lab work done at 4 in the morning without even being told that that was going to happen. I was just about to get up to go to the bathroom and she came in to take my blood. I was pretty frustrated that no one told us that I would be getting blood work done. I didnt remember getting it done when I had Ethan so I was tired and frustrated but oh well. Then on Friday Doctor Fadool my OB came to check out how things were going and I told her that we felt ready to go so she put in the dishcharge oder so that we could leave that day. Brandon was really ready to get home and not have to sleep on that couch bed, and we were both excited to not have to be checked on every now and then. So once our Pediatrician gave us the go ahead on Wyatt we were able to get discharged and go home. Brandon and my dad went golfing that Friday morning and my mom and Ethan hung out with me and Wyatt at the hospital while they were gone. Then after they got back we got discharged and headed home to officially start our life as a family of four!! 






































































No comments:

Post a Comment